[pgpool-general: 4910] PGPOOL 3.5.3 - Duplicate IP

Shay Cohavi cohavisi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 00:24:22 JST 2016

 Hi,

*pgpool 3.5.3 *
*postgresql9 9.3.5 *
*centos 6.6*

I have 2 pgpool servers (3.5.3) installed with postgresql9 (9.3.5) which
configured as master/slave!
both nodes has management network (10.10.70.84/16 and 10.10.70.85/16) in
order to communicate with postgresql clients as well as *cross connect *network
between each other in order to perform streaming replication and pgpool
heartbeat (1.1.1.84/24 and 1.1.1.85/24 cross cable between each server).
the delegate IP is configured in management network 10.10.0.86.

mgrdb84 (priority 1) and mgrdb85(priority 2)

I have 2 major issues when restarting one of the nodes:

   1. the slave node (mgrdb84) is being promoted [MASTER] and delegate IP
   is being established!
   2. the restarted node- mgrdb85  (previously master - tested multiple
   times) is booting and declaring that *"I am the only alive node in the
   watchdog cluster  / HINT:  skiping stand for coordinator state”* and
   change it state to *[MASTER]* !!! (*"I am announcing my self as
   master/coordinator watchdog node”*) .

DUPLICATE IP

   1. the “first” master node (mgrdb84) declare that *"we have not received
   a beacon message from master node "Linux_mgrdb85_9999" and it has not
   replied to our info request”* and *"re-initializing the cluster”* which
   demote its state into [STANDBY] mode but the delegate ip is not being shut
   down (if_down)!!

I have 3 questions:

   1. why the restarted node (mgrdb85) boots up and “thinks” as the only
   alive node in the cluster????
   2. why the the first promoted node (mgrdb84) demoted and the delegate IP
   is not being shut down??
   3. I have checked this scenario multiple times! failure or success
   results, I always get the following messages even if the command executed
   successfully ("watchdog failed to bring up delegate IP, 'if_up_cmd’ failed”
    and "watchdog de-escalation failed to bring down delegate IP”).

Please advise......

cohavisi