[pgpool-general: 4060] PgPool stability

VILLARD, Pierre pierre.villard at capgemini.com
Mon Sep 14 23:31:56 JST 2015

Hi,

I am comfortable with standalone PostgreSQL but, so far, I never used PgPool to switch to a multi-instance installation. In order to improve the read-only performances on my system, I am considering to switch to a two (or more) nodes installation of PostgreSQL with the native replication of PostgreSQL and the use of PgPool. I am also using a lot PostGIS with my PostgreSQL installation and I am accessing this database through Java code using a JDBC/Hibernate layer.

Unfortunately, I received a bad feedback about this approach. According to this feedback, PgPool would not be very stable, the load balancing would not be mature and the recovering on a failure would be manual and very complex.

I have to admit that this feedback slowed things down... I need to have something really robust regarding my context of application.

Do you have feedbacks on your side regarding my approach ? Some advice ?

Pierre