[pgpool-general: 4025] Strange bheaviour

Mephysto mephystoonhell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 23:59:57 JST 2015

Hi there,
I am testing a pgpool environment shaped in this manner: i am using four
Citrix virtual machines, one for pgpool and three are used as Postgres
9.4.4 nodes.

pgpool-1 10.0.0.200
postgres-1 10.0.0.2
postgres-2 10.0.0.3
postgres-3 10.0.0.4

pgpool listens on port 9999. In a real external server I placed glassfish
application server 4.1: it is connected to pgpool by a JDBC connection
pool. VMs are exposed by iptables port forwarding.

This morning, after some modifications to pgpool.conf I performed a fast
shutdown (because they were there some active connections from glassfish):
the operation did not terminate correctly, but it frozen. So, to terminate
pgpool I had to use killall -9. After deleting pidfiles, I performed a
pgpool start and all seemed to work correctly. There was only a problem:
glassfish machine was not able to connect to pgpool on port 9999, neither
psql was able to connect on same port (connections on other ports did word
done).

This situation persisted until I rebooted pgpool machine, after which
glassfish machine had been able to connect on port 9999 newly. Previously I
tried to modify iptables configuration and I performed some service
restarts.

Do anyone have idea about what might have caused this behavior?

Thanks in advance.

Mephysto