[pgpool-general: 4085] Re: pgpool failing standby

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Sat Oct 3 18:54:05 JST 2015

> When the primary db (voldb1) fails I expect the system to have a hiccup as
> the old connections fail and new ones are created but it looks like the
> same thing happens if I restart the standby server. On standby restart  I
> would expect the system to drop the standby from the cluster with no impact
> on the open transactions to the primary server but it looks this is not
> what's happening.
>
> Am I missing something, is this the expected behavior?

It's the expected behavior. When one of database nodes goes down,
pgpool-II always restarts all the pgpool child process which causes
the open connections to pgpool-II disconnected.

I admit that if there's no connections to standby servers, it's not
reasonable to disconnect client connections when one of standby
servers goes down. In the future we might enhance this.