[pgpool-general: 3723] Re: Questions about watchdog

Wes Mitchell wes.mitchell at ericsson.com
Tue May 19 09:10:18 JST 2015

Hi Gervais,

I have solved this particular problem; I had opened udp ports on the firewall for both the heartbeat and the watchdog traffic, not realizing the watchdog traffic was tcp. Now both pgpool instances initialize properly, and failover even works!

However, now I have a different issue: if I use the service command to stop/restart pgpool, sometimes Unix domain socket files are left dangling (and sometimes they are cleaned up properly), preventing the restart from succeeding.

Is this a known issue? Should I pre-emptively remove the socket files, perhaps in the init.d/pgpool-II script? Or, can I avoid the issue altogether by some magic in pool_hba.conf?
I find it difficult to search the archives. Is there full-text search capability somewhere for the list?

Here are my settings. I have a non-root user with sudo privileges only for ifconfig and arping, which is why the paths don’t look right (but it works!)

use_watchdog = 'on'

wd_hostname = 'pgpool1'

Note: 'pgpool2' on second machine

wd_port = 19000

delegate_IP = 'your virtual IP'

if_up_cmd = 'sudo ifconfig eth0:0 inet $_IP_$ netmask 255.255.255.0'

ifconfig_path = '/usr/bin'

if_down_cmd = 'sudo ifconfig eth0:0 down'

arping_path = '/usr/bin'

arping_cmd = 'sudo arping -U $_IP_$ -w 1

wd_interval = 3

wd_heartbeat_port = 19464

heartbeat_destination_port0 = 19464

other_pgpool_port0 = 15432

other_wd_port0 = 19000

Note: these lines must be different on the different hosts. On host pgpool1, use

heartbeat_destination0 = 'pgpool2'

other_pgpool_hostname0 = 'pgpool2'

On host pgpool2, use

heartbeat_destination0 = 'pgpool1'