[pgpool-general: 3685] Recovery Question

Gervais de Montbrun gervais at silverorange.com
Wed May 6 20:56:09 JST 2015

Hi All,

I have a two servers setup using pgpool. Both have pgpool and postgresql installed on them and it is setup as a load balancing and replication.

I have tested everything and it seems to work just fine. I have one question about recovering a downed backend postgresql node. I have had a few instances where I am hammering the db cluster and it never closes a connection and therefore pcp_recovery times out and fails after it has completed stage 1.  If I run pcp_recovery and it does not complete, is it safe to run it again to recover? In my testing it seems to work fine. My concern is that I leave the working postgres server in a state that it should not be in. I’m a bit of a postgresql newbe, but I’m learning. Is there a danger that my main (and only remaining) copy of the db could get corrupted or experience data loss?

Cheers,
Gervais