[pgpool-general: 3549] Re: pgpool 3.3.4 not responding to new SQL connections

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Wed Mar 18 18:28:01 JST 2015

> OK, thanks.
>
> That was it.
>
> After reading documentarion I didn't get properly the connection pool from
> pgpool. Now I know "num_init_children" is the number of accepted
> connections from Psql clients.
>
>>From what I understand, Pgpool's pool is not similar to other pools where
> there are many external connections sharing fewer connections to backend.
> Instead, Pgpool accepts external connections and then multiply them to the
> backend! I dont get what is the advantage when you've got 'permanent'
> external connections (unless the cached connections can be shared among
> every child).

Pgpool expects that connections from client (for example psql) to
pgpool are short lived. If those psql sessions use same user/database,
the connections from pgpool to PostgreSQL can be reused. That's the
idea.

> external connections (unless the cached connections can be shared among
> every child).

Even if the cached connections are not shared among every child, there
will be great chance to be reused by clients in the long run.