[pgpool-general: 3830] Configuration / Out of Memory / no connection more from connections pool.

AL-Temimi, Muthana muthana.al-temimi at tu-harburg.hamburg.de
Tue Jun 23 23:03:02 JST 2015

Hello PGPOOL Admins,

I have a problem with the configuration the database with connection pool pgpool II Version 3.3.4 and PostgreSQL 9.1 on the SUSE Enterprice Linux Server. I configure the pgpool.conf as follow:
num_init_children = 500
max_pool = 4

and the configurations of postgresql are:
max_connections = 4000
shared_buffers = 1024MB
work_mem = 3MB #[1MB]                           # min 64kB
maintenance_work_mem = 256MB #[16MB]            # min 1MB
max_stack_depth = 3MB #[2MB]
checkpoint_segments = 16 #[3]           # in logfile segments, min 1, 16MB each
checkpoint_timeout = 5min               # range 30s-1h
checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9 #
max_wal_senders = 2
effective_cache_size = 1024MB
log_autovacuum_min_duration = 60s
log_temp_files = 10MB
log_lock_waits = off            # log lock waits >= deadlock_timeout
log_statement = 'all'

die configuration in the file "sysctl.conf" are:

# Disable response to broadcasts.
# You don't want yourself becoming a Smurf amplifier.
net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts = 1
# enable route verification on all interfaces
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
# enable ipV6 forwarding
#net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding = 1
# increase the number of possible inotify(7) watches
fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 65536
# avoid deleting secondary IPs on deleting the primary IP
net.ipv4.conf.default.promote_secondaries = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.promote_secondaries = 1
kernel.shmmax=2147483648
vm.overcommit_memory=2
vm.overcommit_ratio=60

my problem the cached of the PostgreSQL-DB Server increasing with the time till swap start it. Then comes Out of memory and no connection more from connections pool.

Any help will be gratefull
Regards

Muthana