[pgpool-general: 3778] Re: Pgpool Load Balancing

Alex Toth atoth at gravity.com
Thu Jun 4 01:30:58 JST 2015

Hi Fahad,

I'm going to have to be general because you've provided very little
information, but I've used pgpool load balancing in AWS so I'm sure it
works there.

Load balancing is connection based, not query based.  If you only have,
say, one client then all the connections will go to one node, especially
if your client does its own connection pooling.

Make sure you have "load_balance_mode = on" to make sure load balancing
is enabled.  You can try changing the weights of the read-only slaves to
push more read queries to them --higher numbers get more queries.

Make sure pgpool thinks all the backends are healthy.  It won't send
queries to nodes that are not passing the health check or that have
fallen behind in replication.  Check the pgpool logs or pcp_pool_status
to find out (status "2" means "healthy").

Hope that helps.

   alex