[pgpool-general: 3885] Re: Master Slave Node Connection Issues

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Wed Jul 22 17:50:51 JST 2015

> Hi there.
>
> We're running PGPoolII in a Master-Slave setup with 3 servers - one being
> the primary and 2 as slaves.
>
> We have it running in non-loadbalance mode using Postgresql Streaming
> replication.
>
> What we've noticed though is that when a connection is opened to PGPool it
> is in turn opening a connection to each server - the Master and both
> Slaves.
>
> This seems odd - and in our setup - where one of the slaves is
> geographically removed (distanced from the master) causes each connection
> to slow down dramatically.
>
> Preferably we'd like to see PGPool only connect to the Master - and not the
> other two slaves if that can be set - or alternatively is there a way of
> reducing the speed impact of connecting to geo separated slave?
>
> Any help or advice on dealing with this appreciated ;-)

This sounds a little odd, since pgpool-II keeps connections to backend
(unless you disable connection pooling). Thus the possible slowdown
could only occur at the connection establishing time. Once the
connections are established, you shouldn't notice the slowdown because
pgpool-II does not access standbys through the slow wires. How do you
observe the slowness?