[pgpool-general: 3452] Re: pgpool 3.3.3: idle limit while in transaction

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Tue Feb 3 19:22:40 JST 2015

> Recently we have noticed that pgpool client_idle_limit affects connections even if there is a transaction in progress.
>
> For example our application connects to database, then executes begin 'transaction', then hangs for some time. And if this time is greater than  client_idle_limit then we get the following error: 'connection terminated due to client idle limit reached' .
>
> Is it a normal behaviour? Or may be this is a bug or something like this?

Yes, it's an expected behavior. It has not been changed since the
parameter was born.

We could add new parameter which is similar to client_idle_limit but
different in that it's not timed out if the transaction is not
closed. That should not be terribly hard to implement. Hope some one
comes up with a patch.