[pgpool-general: 4270] Node Recovery

Steven Livingstone steven at livz.org
Thu Dec 31 06:16:32 JST 2015

Hello - this is my first real step into the world of Postgres and Pgpool.

I have managed to get a simple two node Postgres master/slave cluster
working, using Postgres Streaming Replication. Works well.

I have then added Pgpool (one instance for now, tho looking at HA), added
the master/slave above as backends and that works fine. Then I turn on load
balancing, set master_slave_mode=true and sure enough, i can bring down one
and the other takes over.

However, when I bring the slave down, even when reattached it stays at
status=3 which i know is node down.

Now, I have researched and threads around this go back a number of years
and much of what I tried didn't quite work ... i suspect it applies when I
use PGpool streaming replication rather than the SR now part of Postgres.

Does anyone have a fairly straightforward guide/suggestion on how to use
the Postgres SR in Master/Slave config, along with PGpool when I can add
nodes back (or rather make them available) into the pgpool?

Been a fairly steep learning curve but hoping to sort it by next year ;-)

thanks,
steven