[pgpool-general: 4016] Re: Cancelling and Terminating (again)

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Mon Aug 31 10:45:25 JST 2015

> I had another idea on how to differentiate between the postmaster
> dying and a terminate.  How about dedicate a single connection per
> node.  Every N seconds it issues a /select 1/ and only its status is
> evaluated for postmaster dying.  All other connections have their
> postmaster status ignored.
>
> It would be enabled via '.conf'

That's pretty similar to health checking. The only difference is, we
would want a new knob which disable shutdown/backend termination
message.  That's an idea to worth to discuss but we already have tons
of tasks toward pgpool-II 3.5 and I'm not sure if it could be part of
3.5 release unless someone comes up with acceptable patches.