[pgpool-general: 4002] Re: accept() scalability issues

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Tue Aug 25 16:51:34 JST 2015

>> It might be best not to rely on connection-triggered select() wakeups but rather make semop-calls with timeouts so that the main child loop gets iterated on a regular basis. Alternatively alarm() in combination with a signal handler might be used as well.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. Let me see how I can implement in other way
> using semtimedop().

So far I have created a patch using semtimedop().

It shows very good performance for connection establishing to
pgpool-II. Unfortunately it slows down in terms of TPS.

I have tested with "pgbench -S -p 11000 -c 32 -C -S -T 10 test" with
num_init_children = 400. PostgreSQL is 9.4.4 and there's only 1
PostgreSQL node. pgpool-II and PostgreSQL are running on same Linux
box using UNIX domain socket.

Here is the TPS from 3.3 stable head.

Here is the TPS from 3.4.2.

So connection included TPS is ~700, connection excluded TPS is ~20000.

Here is the TPS from modified 3.3 stable (patch attached).

So connection included TPS is very good.  However connection time
excluded TPS is very low :-<

I have run out my time on this and hope someone comes up and points
out what is wrong with my patch.