[pgpool-general: 3970] Re: How does one terminate/cancel queries via PGPool safely?

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Sat Aug 15 12:42:39 JST 2015

> 1) This one is really really dumb but ... here it goes ... could
>    PGPool look at the error code and if it thinks PostgreSQL is
>    shutting down, look at the corresponding command sent and if the
>    string 'pg_terminate_backend()' is found in the string, not
>    degenerate?

I don't think this is doable. The backend sends the error code is
different from the one receives pg_terminate_backend(). So by looking
at the backend which sent the error code does not help if the error
code was originates pg_terminate_backend() or not.

>    Perhaps make it controllable via a pgpool.conf parameter?
>
> 2) If the above isn't doable, how can we make PGPool disable sending
>    'pg_terminate_backend()'?

Currently it is not possible. The only workaround I can think of is
removing execute privilege from the function and allow to execute
only by super user.