[pgpool-general: 3235] Re: Postgres, Pgpool2 for Autoscaling in private cloud (OpenStack)

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Sat Oct 18 09:19:09 JST 2014

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently researching on HA, Failover, Autosacaling applications in
> private clouds.  I consider Pgpool2 and Postgres a viable option for the DB
> layer. But I have several question about whether to use horizontal or
> vertical scaling. So far I think vertical scaling would be the way to go
> for the DB layer. Adding more nodes in a master/slave configuration doesn’t
> seem right performance-wise and it seems more complex also. Besides I think
> could only add more slaves nodes. But maybe someone out there knows better.
>

> Anyway my question is the following:
>

> The promotion of a slave to master is transparent for the client connected
> to pgpool or there’s a short connection loss (data loss)?

No, it's not tranparent. Connections from client to pgpool-II will be
closed. Client needs to reconnect to pgpool-II after changing of
master.

> The scenario I have in mind is: for vertical scaling I could start by
> shutting down a slave node, provisioning more resources, boot again, and
> promote to master with the command pcp_promote_node, after that I could do
> the same with the former master, now slave, and then do an online recovery.
> However, I’m not sure this is completely transparent for clients and
> whether or not it has zero downtime.

So the process is not completely transparent for clients.

BTW I do not recommend to use pcp_promote_node command. It just
changes the state in pgpool's memory and does nothing to
PostgreSQL. You'd better either 1) shutdown master and trigger
failover to promoter standby 2) use pcp_detach_node command to trigger
failover to promote standby then shutdown master manually. After #1 or
#2, you do online recovery to resync old master to the new master.

After recovering the old master (as new standby), you can attach the
new standby by using pcp_attach_node. the process is transparent to
clients. Existing connections from clients to pgpool will be kept.