[pgpool-general: 3252] Problems Connecting via AppServer

Anthony Presley anthony at timeforge.com
Sat Nov 1 05:02:23 JST 2014

Hi all!

We've been using pgpool-ii for nearly 3 years, successfully, and we love it.

However, we're having some very, very strange issues when attempting to use
Tomcat 6.x or 7.x to connect to pgpool.

We currently use PG 9.0, and native binary and WAL replication.

Specifically, our current set up looks like:
  AppServer1,2,3 -> pgpool -> db1, db2

We currently send 100% of the reads to db2, and use db1 for inserts only.

pgpool runs on port 5433.

We've started deploying new appservers, and have found that they do not all
connect to the pgpool instance.  No change in Tomcat version (we've tried
both Tomcat 6.x and 7.x), and using the same JDBC drivers.

I can connect to pgpool, using psql, from these machines - and it works
perfectly.

However, when I start Tomcat, it hangs forever trying to connect to pgpool.

I can connect to pgpool using psql, from those machines - to port 5433 -
without problems.  So, I'm assuming it's not a firewall / network problem.

In trying to decode the problem, we set up a second pgpool, on one of the
problematic machines - and continued having the same problem.

We then upgraded to this pgpool:
  pgpool-II-93-devel-3.3.2-1.rhel6.x86_64

FINE: Instantiating driver using class: org.postgresql.Driver
[url=jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5433/scheduler?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=utf-8]
Oct 28, 2014 12:51:17 AM org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.PooledConnection
connectUsingDriver
FINE: Unable to connect to database.
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: The connection attempt failed.
Caused by: java.io.EOFException
        at org.postgresql.core.PGStream.ReceiveChar(PGStream.java:274)
        at
org.postgresql.core.v3.ConnectionFactoryImpl.doAuthentication(ConnectionFactoryImpl.java:269)
        at
org.postgresql.core.v3.ConnectionFactoryImpl.openConnectionImpl(ConnectionFactoryImpl.java:106)
        ... 93 more

Any ideas?

--
Anthony Presley