[pgpool-general: 2925] Connection pooling between non-identical clusters

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 22:54:12 JST 2014

Hoi,

We have a setup where due to differing replication requirements we have
some databases in cluster A and some in cluster B. We're also looking at
connection pooling because there a lot of clients that aren't going to do
doing very many queries.

Looking through the documentation it doesn't seem like pgpool2 handles this
in a single process, so I have it going with two separate pgpool instances.
However, I was wondering if it wouldn't be an idea to allow users to
specify database names in the configuration and route to the backend that
contains that database.

What I'm think of is an option like:

backend_dbnames0=foo,bar_*
backend_dbnames1=baz

So if a connection comes in for database foo_2, it will be sent to backend0
but not backend1.

Does this sound like something people would be interested it, or is it too
niche?

Have a nice day,