[pgpool-general: 2915] Re: pgpool 3.3 and watchdog

Joar Jegleim joar.jegleim at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 15:37:41 JST 2014

Hi,

I haven't seen this, I'm also running 9.3 and 3.3.3 .
I've setup a lot of logging though in my failover, basebackup and
pgpool remote start scripts. I've come across several errors that turn
out to be misconfiguration on my part, it could be anything from host
authentication (ssh), SElinux blocking 'something' to configuration of
pgpool itself .

My 2 cent would be to add as much logging as possible to the scripts
that handle the failover, then at least you may see where things stop
.
Also check your postgres logs, I've noticed output from basebackup and
pgpoo remote start end up in the postgres logs, unless you've
redirected the elsewhere .

jj

On 11 June 2014 08:55, Alexandru Cardaniuc <cardaniuc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thing is I already have a cluster configured with 2 nodes and watchdog.
> I use PostgreSQL 9.3 and Pgpool 3.3.3 and for the most part it seems to
> be working well. But, I had one case recently where I did a failover
> where I failed the master node, and pgpool properly identified the
> master node as failed and detached it from the cluster (status 3 in
> pcp_node_info), but didn't run the script to do the trigger on the slave
> node for some reason. So, even though the traffic was properly
> redirected to the new master (former slave), this new master (former
> slave) was still in READ_ONLY mode. Can't find what would be an issue.
> Is that a known issue? What should I be looking at?
>
> Joar Jegleim <joar.jegleim at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Alexandru,
>>
>> I looked into pacemaker ++ and decided I didn't need take that route
>> for my (only) 2 node setup . I've been hardening my 2 node pgpool,
>> watchdog, floating ip master / slave setup . I plan on publishing my
>> whole setup as a howto when done ( if my boss give me go) , I'll keep
>> you posted.
>>
>> Be patient, this takes time, don't expect any howto on this until
>> august / september, mabye even october ( got a big release due in
>> sept. which I'm working hard to make sure our pgpool failover cluster
>> may serve) .
>>
>> And please cc my mail directly when mailing me, since I filter all my
>> mailinglist mail, and came over your post here by accident :)
>>
>> regards Joar Jegleim
>>

>> On 9 June 2014 21:45, Alexandru Cardaniuc <cardaniuc at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Joar,
>>> Can you keep us in the loop on your research? That kind of setup
>>> would be something interesting to consider if it increases the
>>> robustness of the clustering solution.

>>> -- "Never let school interfere with your education." - Mark Twain

Joar Jegleim
Homepage: http://cosmicb.no
Linkedin: http://no.linkedin.com/in/joarjegleim
fb: http://www.facebook.com/joar.jegleim