[pgpool-general: 3066] Re: Failover - new primary selection process?

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Mon Jul 28 16:20:38 JST 2014

No. Pgpool-II has no idea which server has been running longer.

Pgpool-II has no built-in logic to choose next
to-be-primary-candidate. Which slave node will be promoted next time
is completely depending on your failover script. In general most
people specifies the candidate slave as the master node, which has the
yonguest node number among live slave nodes (%m in failover script).
Example: you have node 0 primary, node 1&2 standby.

1) node 0 is down.

2) node 1 is chosen as the next primary because it's the youngest live
node (master).

3) node 1 is down.

4) node 2 is chosen as the next primary because it's the youngest live
node (master).