[pgpool-general: 2593] Re: Pgpool in a HA environment

julyanto SUTANDANG julyanto at equnix.co.id
Sat Feb 22 18:40:47 JST 2014

Dear Amupama,

Just my two cents, as long as you only had single physical server to
contain tomcat and pgpool, then option 1 is the best one.
Since HA (High Availability) conceptually counts about Physical Server
Disaster avoidance. then separating 2 PgPool instances but still share
resources with other apps like Tomcat is not meet the ideal condition of HA.

Regards,

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 7:18 AM, Anupama Ramaswamy <anumr_0123 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> My current setup involves a Tomcat Web Application on a Postgres backend.
> I need to have a load balanced / highly available application.  So I have
> setup postgres with streaming replication and 2 Tomcat server load balanced
> in a cluster. I have pgpool to load balance the postgres read-only queries.
>
> I do not want pgpool to be a single point of failure. So I need to setup 2
> pgpool instances. Here is my question.
> Of the 2 configurations below, which is recommended and why ?
>
> 1) Application server = Tomcat + pgpool ---> Each tomcat connects to the
> local instance of pgpool which load balances against the 2 DB servers. So
> when one of the app servers is down, the other will continue to operate.
>
> 2) Application Server 1 = Tomcat (active) + active PgPool. Web app
> connects to local instance of PGpool (through Virtual IP)
> Application Server 2 = Tomcat (active) + passive PgPool. The web app
> connects to remote instance of pgpool  (through Virtual IP). The local
> instance is configured as "Other PgPool" with a watchdog. This takes over
> only if the first instance goes down.
>
> Not able to figure out if the first approach has any pitfalls - 2
> disparate pgpools supporting 2 front-ends will cause any inconsistencies.
> Any help/ suggestions welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Anupama.

Julyanto SUTANDANG

Equnix Business Solutions, PT
(An Open Source an Open Mind Company)

Pusat Niaga ITC Roxy Mas Blok C2/42.  Jl. KH Hasyim Ashari 125, Jakarta
Pusat
T: +6221 7997 692 F: +62216315281 M: +628164858028

Caution: The information enclosed in this email (and any attachments) may
be legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or otherwise
reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be viewed by
any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking
of any action in reliance on the information herein is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify
the sender and delete this message.Unless it is made by the authorized
person, any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of PT Equnix Business
Solutions.