[pgpool-general: 2560] pgpool-wd problems adding a third backend node

Attila Heidrich attila.heidrich at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 23:21:15 JST 2014

Dear All!

I have read many docs, but still have totally silly problems, like the
following:

I run two Debian 7.3 boxes, with postgresql 9.3 and pgpool 3. on each.
I use  pgpool's own wd mech.

It seems to work fine in this scenario, but everything fails when I add a
3rd backend node.

I just insert the following section into both pgpool.conf:

backend_hostname2 = 'pool-3'
backend_port1 = 5433
backend_weight1 = 1
backend_data_directory1 = '/var/lib/postgresql/9.3/main/'
backend_flag1 = 'ALLOW_TO_FAILOVER'

after the first and the second, which are the same, just with
backend_hostname0 = 'pool-1', and backend_hostname1 = 'pool-2'
respectively. pgpool replication works with the two nodes.

Stop pgpools
Stop database
rsync the master database to the 3rd node (I would like to have online
sync, but always got backend_error, so I have decided to start with offline
sync)
start all databases
start pgpool#1
start pgpool#2 (I have experienced that starting at once doesn't make any
sense, it usually doesn't work such way, some, or all of the pgpool nodes
should be restarted)

And pgpool stops replicating, although the pools see each other, wd seems
to work.  Any DB operation goes only the db on the active pool node.

What do I do wrong??

Regards,

Attila