[pgpool-general: 3379] pgpool heartbeat and subnetting best practice

Anupama Ramaswamy anumr_0123 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 21 22:53:24 JST 2014

Hi All,
I have setup pgpool on 2 application server nodes against 2 remote PG database servers which use streaming replication. I use pgpool for load balancing only. No replication, connection pools.However, I use pgpool to detect DB node failure and to switch the secondary to master mode when the master node fails.
I am planning to use the watch-dog feature of the pgpool, so that I can avoid SPOF for pgpool itself. This is not done yet.

My question is, how should the subnets and physical interconnects should be configured for the 4 servers so that the heartbeat detection and failover can be reliable.How many NICs are recommended for the DB servers and servers running pgpool ? Are there any best practices documented out there ?
Thanks for your help,
Regards,Anupama.