[pgpool-general: 3106] Possible split-brain scenario

John Scalia jayknowsunix at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 23:54:51 JST 2014

I'm trying to figure out if pgpool can avoid a split-brain scenario. Say my primary server loses internet connectivity including with both my standbys, but those standbys are still
happily communicating with each other and with the network. In that event, I would expect the first standby to promote itself to become the new master and the second standby would
start following it. I've actually seen this work here. But, what happens to the original primary in the event that network connectivity is restored? Unless it is demoted to become
a standby to the new primary, which in fact may not succeed, then I have a split-brain situation. Would pgpool degenerate the old primary on reconnection? I'm trying to figure out
which pgpool would now have control of the overall system: the one on the old primary or the one on the new primary?
--
Jay