[pgpool-general: 3099] Re: pg_md5 issue

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Tue Aug 12 10:26:23 JST 2014

Jay,

> Ishii-san,
>
> I'm not certain what you mean by "is pool_hba.conf setup correctly?" I
> did not change it from the defaults, but yes enable_pool_hba = on.
>
> I had seen settings on the internet where people had used --md5auth
> option for pg_md5, but I thought md5 was the default. When I used that
> option, it wrote out the response to the pool_passwd file. Without
> that option, it writes to stdout. The problem is that the output
> changes with and without the --md5auth option, but I do understand
> that with enable_pool_hba = on, I don't really need pool_passwd.

pool_passwd, enable_pool_hba, and pool_hba.conf are for md5
authentication against PostgreSQL (and clients). pcp also uses md5
encrypted password stored in pcp.conf. However, the format of md5
password in pool_passwd and pcp.conf are different. pg_md5 emits those
different formats of md5 password.

So, if you just need md5 password for pcp.conf, do not use --md5auth
option.

> I had
> to get some value into the pcp.conf filem and if I copied the value
> delivered to stdout into the file, it worked.

Yes, this is the correct way to set up pcp.conf.