[pgpool-general: 2735] CREATE ROLE fails in replication mode

Rypl Lukas rypl at marconi.ttc.cz
Wed Apr 9 17:50:33 JST 2014

  Hello,

  We are using pgpool 3.3.0 and postges 9.1 in replication mode with
queries send to master db, without parallel queries or load balancing.
There seems to be some kind of problem related to creating new database
roles via pgpool. The new role does not exist but CREATE ROLE command
fails with error message telling that it already exists.

Example:

postgres=# SELECT rolname FROM pg_roles WHERE rolname='export';
  rolname
---------
(0 rows)

postgres=# CREATE ROLE export;
ERROR:  kind mismatch among backends. Possible last query was: "CREATE
ROLE export;" kind details are: 0[C] 1[E: role "export" already exists]
HINT:  check data consistency among db nodes
ERROR:  kind mismatch among backends. Possible last query was: "CREATE
ROLE export;" kind details are: 0[C] 1[E: role "export" already exists]
HINT:  check data consistency among db nodes
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.

I could not find any information related to creating new user roles via
pgpool. So maybe the right question is: Is it supposed to work or not?

  Thanks and Regards,
  Lukas Rypl