[pgpool-general: 1799] Re: There might be an error in the tutorial for streaming replication on multiple servers

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Wed May 29 23:28:38 JST 2013

> In the referenced pgpool.conf
> (http://www.pgpool.net/pgpool-web/contrib_docs/simple_sr_setting2_3.1/pgpool.conf)
> the configuration variable failback_command is set to delete a file:
>
> failback_command = '/bin/rm -f /var/log/pgpool/trigger/trigger_file1'
>
> This command gets executed on pgpool-server, or not? Therefore the
> trigger file on the pgpool server gets deleted and not on the backend
> server.

Thanks for pointing it out. The failback_command has mistakes in
double ways:

- Trigger file exists on PostgreSQL server. So trying to remove it on
  the pgpool server is plain nonsense.

- PostgreSQL removes trigger file after failover event. So deleting it
  on the failback_command is a waste of CPU cycle.

In summary, failback_command should be empty in the tutorial. Will
fix.