[pgpool-general: 1508] Re: [Benchmarks] Replication mode VS Master/Slave mode

Thomas Martin tmartincpp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 23:51:31 JST 2013

Hello.

2013/3/14 Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at postgresql.org>:
>> Hey! It's me again.
>>
>> I just realized (shame on me) that my pgbench with SELECT (only
>> selects) have the same results: master/slave is mostly twice better
>> than replication.
>> As the select are load balanced with replication I don't why I have
>> such results in that case.
>
> Not reproduced here.
>
> With steaming replication mode:
>
> [t-ishii at localhost test]$pgbench -p 11002 -S -n -c 10 -T 30 test
> transaction type: SELECT only
> scaling factor: 1
> query mode: simple
> number of clients: 10
> number of threads: 1
> duration: 30 s
> number of transactions actually processed: 278484
> tps = 9282.699128 (including connections establishing)
> tps = 9284.413941 (excluding connections establishing)
>
> With replication mode:
>
> pgbench -p 11002 -S -n -c 10 -T 30 test
> transaction type: SELECT only
> scaling factor: 1
> query mode: simple
> number of clients: 10
> number of threads: 1
> duration: 30 s
> number of transactions actually processed: 273558
> tps = 9117.816172 (including connections establishing)
> tps = 9149.884370 (excluding connections establishing)
>
> How did you execute pgbench exactly?
> Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp

Interesting, I will probably do a simple test like yours to see what happens.

During my tests I used pgbench-tools and configured it to test with 1,
2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 or 128 clients. The scaling factor was set to 1,
10, 100 or 450.
Each of them had a duration of 60 seconds and was done 3 times.
The max_workers was set to 8.

Finally pgbench-tools calculated averages and made the graphics attached.

To be honest, due to really big gaps between results, I guess I missed
something in my test but until now I can't figure out what it is.

Thomas