[pgpool-general: 1505] Re: Load balancing changes between 2.x and 3.x

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Fri Mar 15 10:09:02 JST 2013

On 03/14/2013 05:58 PM, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

>> Correct. However, it is my understanding that if I am running 2.x and
>> I do this:
>>
>> BEGIN;
>> SELECT update_function(); -- write stuff to database
>> COMMIT;
>>
>> It will not be load balanced. However, if I am using 3.x it would
>> be. What I want to be able to do is execute functions via pgpool 3.x
>> and have it not be load balanced.
>
> Oh I see. You can specify white_function_list and black_function_list
> directive. i.e.
>
> white_function_list = ''
> black_function_list = 'update_function'
>
> will load balance any function except "update_function".

That is an interesting work around but not very functional on a system
that has been developed to be database centric. If I have 200 functions
that write data, that is an awful long list to keep track of. Something
to consider for the future. It is nice the work around exists however.
Thank you for the information.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake