[pgpool-general: 1826] Re: AWS and pgpool-II

web at mr-paradox.net web at mr-paradox.net
Thu Jun 6 04:59:17 JST 2013

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 01:40:51PM +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
- Hi,
-
- I have gotten a few complains about unwanted failover caused by TCP
- connection errors on AWS.
-
- By googling "AWS pgpool", I found a similar case:
-
- 1) https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?messageID=429906
-
- Posted on Mar 3, 2014. Unfortunately in Japanese. In short, they got
- "No route to host" error periodically. The region is
- Tokyo(ap-northeast-1a). Up to now no replies so far.
-
- I don't think Amazon is going to fix the problem soon. Maybe pgpool
- should be prepared to such an unstable envrionment. For now, I
- recommend to set fail_over_on_backend_error = off on AWS.

We're seeing that problem, it's immensly problematic for us. It doesn't
just affect PgPool / Postgres but can randomly hit any machine in your
VPC.

We've opened up a ticket with amazon support and have been working with
them on it. There is hope that we'll have a resolution soon.