[pgpool-general: 1917] Re: pcp_recovery_node fails BackendError

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Tue Jul 23 09:36:55 JST 2013

> When trying to issue pcp_recovery_node it is failing, I ran it below
> with the debug flag for more info.  What can I do to debug this
> further? Nothing is being spit out to the pgpool.log file when issuing
> pcp_recovery_node as well.  What does backend error mean?
>
> $ pcp_recovery_node -d 180 myhost 9898 user password 2
> DEBUG: send: tos="R", len=46
> DEBUG: recv: tos="r", len=21, data=AuthenticationOK
> DEBUG: send: tos="D", len=6
> DEBUG: recv: tos="e", len=20, data=recovery failed
> DEBUG: command failed. reason=recovery failed
> BackendError
> DEBUG: send: tos="X", len=4
> [postgres at dbh1qa pgpool-II]$ echo $?
> 12

pcp_recovery_node executes recovery_1st_stage_command and/or
recovery_2nd_stage_command depending on your configuration. Those
scripts are supposed to be executed on the master PostgreSQL node (the
first live node in replication mode or primary node in streaming
replication mode). "BackendError" means there's something wrong in
pgpool and/or PostgreSQL. To verify this, I recommend followings;

1) start pgpool with debug option
2) execute pcp_recovery_node
3) examin pgpool log and master PostgreSQL log