[pgpool-general: 1910] How to configure pgpool for reasonable speed

KaBaSZo tobix10 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 23:17:17 JST 2013

I have a problem with pgpool II configured in master-slave mode with
replication on slony. I have configured postgres databases on each server
to run as fast as they can and this was verified by me when I set up
connection directly to the db server. However when connection is
established by pgpool sth goes wrong, my webapp on tomcat starts very
slowly(30min in compare to 5min without pgpool).

I can't figure out what is wrong. On working webapp communication is a bit
slower, but difference is so much smaller than at startup.

PGPool use ssh tunnels to communicate with servers.

I've read sth about pgpool and if I understood correctly number of
connections(pools) is determine by tuples(database, user). I use only one
database and user, is that a reason? If so is there anything I can do to
speed up pgpool?

Thanks in advance.