[pgpool-general: 1344] Parallel mode and Java

Aaron Leonard aaron.leonard at lymba.com
Sat Jan 26 06:14:50 JST 2013

Hi,

We are trying to get parallel mode working with pgpool 3.2.1 and a Java
program.

When using the psql shell, we are seeing that INSERT distributes data
among the backend servers as expected, and SELECT combines the data from
the backend servers as expected.

However, when we try using a Java program to perform the same task, it
seems that the data is replicated among all backend servers instead of
being distributed.  There doesn't seem to be any message in the pgpool
logs about this, it just seems like parallel mode has been turned off.

I notice that it says at
http://pgpool.projects.pgfoundry.org/pgpool-II/doc/pgpool-en.html#restriction

 >Extended Query Protocol (for parallel mode)
 >
 >The extended query protocol used by JDBC drivers, etc. is not
supported. The simple query protocol must be used. This means you can't
use prepared statements.

Is this why we are seeing this behavior?  Is there a possible
work-around to be able to use parallel mode in Java?  Any advice would
be appreciated.

Thanks