[pgpool-general: 1299] Re: pgpool stopped accepting client connections after 1 node hung

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Tue Jan 8 08:05:26 JST 2013

>>> That is my question too. Do you see this kind of message in the pgpool log?
>>>
>>>                 degenerate_backend_set: 2 fail over request from pid xxxx
>>>
>>> If you see this, pgpool should initiate the failover and mark cuda-db5 down.
>>
>> Nope, that message was not present at any time.
>
> There was a bug report regarding pgpool-II 3.2 (or higher)'s
> connect_inet_domain_socket():
> http://www.pgpool.net/mantisbt/view.php?id=46
>
> In the report the error message was same as you
> (connect_inet_domain_socket: connect() failed: Connection timed out).
> and I have created a patch to fix it:
> http://www.pgpool.net/mantisbt/file_download.php?file_id=55&type=bug
>
> Can you try it out? Still I am investigating why you did not see fail
> over but I think you want to try the patch to avoid the error first.

Oh, I think I see the reason why you do not see fail over.
You have this:
fail_over_on_backend_error = off

In this case new_connection() does not trigger fail over.

			/* If fail_over_on_backend_error is true, do failover.
			 * Otherwise, just exit this session.
			 */
			if (pool_config->fail_over_on_backend_error)
			{
				notice_backend_error(i);
			}
			child_exit(1);