[pgpool-general: 950] Re: Do pgpool work with 2 architectures for MASTER/SLAVE

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Wed Sep 5 09:27:09 JST 2012

> The master is FreeBSD/powerpc64 with PostgreSQL 9.1.5 (64 bits architecture imply --enable-float8-byval compile option)
> The slave is FreeBSD/powerpc64 with PostgreSQL 9.1.5 (32 bits architecture imply --disable-float8-byval compile option)
>
> I wonder if pgpool-II will work with such a configuration because of the restrictions warnings in the pgpool-II docs. (For example, the PostgeSQL 9.1 replication does not work on different master/slave architectures)

I myself did not try yet, but I guess:

1) Streaming replication will not work because those architectures are different

2) Pgpool's native replication mode will not work because those
   databases are binary incompatible

3) Master slave mode with slony might work because it does not require
   architectures are identical.