[pgpool-general: 300] Calculating num_init_children..?

Matt Wise matt at nextdoor.com
Tue Mar 27 07:51:01 JST 2012

In our environment we have 4 DB servers (db1/2/3/4) and db1 is the master. If we want to allow 512 total connections to each of our DB servers (so 2048 in total, among all 4 servers) ... whats the best tuning for pgpool's connection parameters. Assume we have 1 primary database, and 1 user that we connect to the database with.

Do we want to do:
  num_init_children = (512 * 4) = 2048
  max_pool = 1

Or when a client makes a connection, does PGPool simultaneously connect to all 4 DBs... and therefore we want:
  num_init_children = 512
  max_pool = 1

—Matt