[pgpool-general: 294] lots of errors: kind does not match between master

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 07:06:37 JST 2012

Greetings,
I'm running pgpool-II-3.1.2 on a Linux-x86_64 server, doing load
balancing for a postgresql-9.04 cluster, that has 1 master, and two
streaming replication slaves.  Over the past few weeks, I've noticed
the following errors appearing in the pgpool log with increasing
frequency.  At this point, they're appearing at a rate of nearly 1
every other second:
2012-03-25 14:33:31 ERROR: pid 24101: pool_read_kind: kind does not
match between master(45) slot[1] (52)
2012-03-25 14:33:31 LOG:   pid 24101: pool_read_kind: error message
from master backend:sorry, too many clients already

When I've looked at these processes referenced in the above errors in
'ps' output, they're always showing:
pgpool: wait for connection request

I haven't made any changes to the database cluster or pgpool setup
since this problem started, so its a complete mystery what is
triggering these errors.  The odd thing is that for the most part,
from a client perspective, everything seems to be working fine.  I've
verified that I can connect directly to the master & slaves using psql
from the pgpool server.

All of the postgres servers have max_connections=200 set in their
postgresql.conf

pgpool.conf has the following settings:
num_init_children = 195
max_pool = 1
child_life_time = 300
child_max_connections = 990
connection_life_time = 0
client_idle_limit = 90

At this point, I'd like to understand what is causing these errors,
and how to reduce their frequency, if not eliminate them.

thanks