[pgpool-general: 609] Re: Combining replication flavors

ACHA | Helpdesk helpdesk at acha.nl
Fri Jun 8 20:49:43 JST 2012

Hi,

Sorry for bumping my own question.

Are there any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Marco

From: helpdesk at acha.nl [mailto:pgpool-general-bounces at pgpool.net] On Behalf Of ACHA | Helpdesk
Sent: maandag 4 juni 2012 12:53
To: pgpool-general at pgpool.net
Subject: [pgpool-general: 586] Combining replication flavors

Hi,

We have been successfully using pg-pool for some time with a master/master setup. We are now looking for a way to combine master/master replication with master/slave replication in one setup.

Is that possible with pg-pool?

Use case scenario:

We need a production cluster (4db's - master/master) and a report cluster (also 4 db's). The idea is to send heavy report requests to the report cluster in order to relieve the production cluster. It would be nice if the report cluster is quite recent, but it is not a problem if it falls a bit behind.

I have been thinking of a solution where one of the master/master node is another pg-pool master which takes care of the master/slave replication using PostgreSQL's streaming replication for example. But that setup has some down sides: it introduces a single point of failure (or we need to add more complexity for a redundant setup) and I assume the production pg-pool master has to wait for the report pg-pool master to finish it's write action. Which may take a while when it is busy processing report data.

Any idea's are very much appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Marco