[pgpool-general: 717] Re: Load Balancing / Streaming Replication / Isolation Level serializable

Philip Hofstetter phofstetter at sensational.ch
Thu Jul 12 16:24:14 JST 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 4:15 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at postgresql.org> wrote:

> Fixed. Patch attached.

very cool. I can confirm that the patch fixes the issue! Thanks a lot!

And now, let me be mean and show you the next, very much related
issue, though this time it doesn't matter for me, but it should
probably be fixed for completeness sake too:

pilif at tali:~|⇒  psql -h pgpool demovendor
psql (9.1.1, server 9.1.4)
Type "help" for help.

demo=> begin work;
BEGIN
demo=> set transaction isolation level serializable;
ERROR:  kind mismatch among backends. Possible last query was: "set
transaction isolation level serializable;" kind details are: 0[C] 1[E:
cannot use serializable mode in a hot standby]
HINT:  check data consistency among db nodes
ERROR:  kind mismatch among backends. Possible last query was: "set
transaction isolation level serializable;" kind details are: 0[C] 1[E:
cannot use serializable mode in a hot standby]
HINT:  check data consistency among db nodes

(this is pgpool 3.1.1 with your patch applied)

So same issue for using "set transaction isolation level" without also
specifying "read write"

Again, this is just nit-picking, but who knows what code relies on
just set transaction isolation level (ours doesn't :p)

Philip