[pgpool-general: 196] Re: Healthcheck timeout not always respected

Stevo Slavić sslavic at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 12:33:25 JST 2012

Hello Tatsuo,

Here is cumulative patch to be applied on pgpool master branch with
following fixes included:

   1. fix for health check bug
      1. it was not possible to allow backend failover only on failed
      health check(s);
      2. to achieve this one just configures backend to
      DISALLOW_TO_FAILOVER, sets fail_over_on_backend_error to off, and
      configures health checks;
      3. for this fix in code an unwanted check was removed in main.c,
      after health check failed if DISALLOW_TO_FAILOVER was set for backend
      failover would have been always prevented, even when one
configures health
      check whose sole purpose is to control failover
      2. fix for health check bug
      1. health check timeout was not being respected in all conditions
      (icmp host unreachable messages dropped for security reasons, or
no active
      network component to send those message)
      2. for this fix in code (main.c, pool.h, pool_connection_pool.c) inet
      connections have been made to be non blocking, and during connection
      retries status of now global health_check_timer_expired variable is being
      checked
      3. fix for failback bug
      1. in raw mode, after failback (through pcp_attach_node) standby
      node/backend would remain in invalid state (it would be in CON_UP, so on
      failover after failback pgpool would not be able to connect to standby as
      get_next_master_node expects standby nodes/backends in raw mode to be in
      CON_CONNECT_WAIT state when finding next master node)
      2. for this fix in code, when in raw mode on failback status of all
      nodes/backends with CON_UP state is set to CON_CONNECT_WAIT -
all children
      are restarted anyway

Neither of these fixes changes expected behaviour of related features so
there are no changes to the documentation.

Kind regards,

Stevo.