[pgpool-general: 252] Re: Hi, Friends, what's the real meanings of "Replication mode"?

sunpeng bluevaley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 10:26:12 JST 2012

Thanks!
Just from learning perspective I raised previous 2nd question. I think
there should be 6 cases:

   1. pgpool-II+master server+ warm-standby server+ file-based log shipping
   method between master and standby
   2. pgpool-II+master server+ warm-standby server+ stream replication
   method between master and standby
   3. pgpool-II+master server+ warm-standby server+ synchonous replication
   method between master and standby
   4. pgpool-II+master server+ hot-standby server+ file-based log shipping
   method between master and standby
   5. pgpool-II+master server+ hot-standby server+ stream replication
   method between master and standby
   6. pgpool-II+master server+ hot-standby server+ synchonous replication
   method between master and standby

I noticed the tutorial of
http://www.pgpool.net/pgpool-web/pgpool-II/doc/pgpool-en.html falls into
case 5. From that tutorial I assumed pgpool could be configured to support
case 2,3,5,6 by using master-slave mode combined with load balancing mode.
Is that right? Maybe I could have a try.
I understand people using warm-standby for HA, and hot-standby for load
balancing, or OLAP on standby to seperate work-load from master.