[pgpool-general: 936] Issue w/ md5 auth in master/slave mode

Michael Barrett loki77 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 08:30:15 JST 2012

Hi, I'm working on getting pgpool working in a master/slave setup using md5
authentication.  Here's the versions of software I'm running:

pgpool-II-3.2.0
postgresql-9.1.5

I've setup a pool_passwd file using pg_md5 on the pgpool server for the
user 'mike'.  I've also setup the user 'mike' in the postgres database and
updated pg_hba.conf to allow md5 connections from the pool host.  As well
I've setup pool_hba.conf  with the following entry:

host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5

Whenever I try to connect (via psql) I get the following error:

psql: ERROR:  MD5 authentication is unsupported in replication,
master-slave and parallel modes.
HINT:  check pg_hba.conf

Any idea what might be going on there?  I don't see it attempt to auth
against the postgres server at all, and I'm not sure why pgpool is saying
that md5 isn't allowed with master-slave mode when it sounds like it has
been able to since 3.0.

Thanks in advance!

--
Michael Barrett