[pgpool-general: 915] pgpool generated queries and version 3.2

anais.virt at googlemail.com anais.virt at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 21 22:15:47 JST 2012

Hello all,

We are considering using pgpool in our small production server
environment. So far so good, we have successfully set up streaming
replication and put pgpool on top of it.

All the tests seems to be ok however when viewing postgres log files
(set to logging 'all') we have noticed that pgpool constantly creates
lots of queries of the following syntax:

SELECT count(*) FROM pg_catalog.pg_class AS c WHERE c.oid =
pgpool_regclass('table_name') AND c.relpersistence = 'u'
SELECT count(*) FROM pg_catalog.pg_class AS c WHERE c.oid =
pgpool_regclass('some_other_table_name') AND c.relpersistence = 'u'
SELECT count(*) FROM pg_class AS c, pg_namespace AS n WHERE c.relname
= 'another_table_name' AND c.relnamespace = n.oid AND n.nspname =
'pg_catalog'

With every "our" application query there is more of the above. We also
noticed that out application is slightly (300ms-400ms) slower with
pgpool compared to the application going directly to the database
server.

Is the above behavior of pgpool normal or do we need to change
anything in our configuration?

We also have wierd problem with pgpool 3.2. It crashes after
succesfull first query. We belive the reason for it is that pgpool
creates another main process of pgpool. Did anybody have similiar
issue? Version 3.1.3 is absolutely fine...

Regards,
Anais K.