[pgpool-general: 359] Re: Multiple pgpool servers failover

Matt Wise matt at nextdoor.com
Fri Apr 20 10:32:27 JST 2012

Lou,
  I'm afraid that I want to have the same design as you, but it simply doesnt exist right now in PGPool. Right now the behavior is EITHER:

a) failover is allowed, and the instance any postgres server goes down the appropriate failover scripts are called
b) failover is DISALLOWED, and the instant any postgres server goes down, your entire pgpool server basically freezes all connections until the servers come back up.

  There's no middle ground... I'm actually talking to one of my engineers in house and we're thinking about patching PGPool so that we can have a behavior where:

If DISALLOW_TO_FAILOVER is set and ..
  a) one of the slaves fails: that slave is taken out of rotation until its back up
  b) the master fails: all connections hang until the master is back, OR a new master is detected. pgpool goes into a loop looking for new masters.

—Matt