[Pgpool-hackers] show pool_status like...

Guillaume Lelarge guillaume at lelarge.info
Thu Sep 15 18:49:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 07:57 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> > Did you read our answer from Guillaume Lelarge and me ?
> >
> > I would rather push forward pgpool_adm which is much more cleaner in
> > many aspects and remove SHOW commands all together.
>
> I don't agree removing show commands. At least until the day when
> pgpool_adm functions are popular enough among users.

Neither do I.

> >> In the mean time, I also thinking about "SET" command for
> >> pgpool-II. This would be usefull for change pgpool-II setting just for
> >> the session scope.
>
> > What kind of parameters you would like to change for your session only ?
>
> Lots. For example logging paramters, such as debug_level.  Also I
> would like to be able to change on memory query parameters on the fly.

I would also like such a feature. But not with a SET command. Something
like a pgpool_set_option() stored function would please me more.

> > It leads me to another question. How could we *really* change the pgpool
> > settings permanently (in the postgresql fashion for user, database or
> > user+database) from SQL commands ?
> >
> > Shouldn't we *require* PostgreSQL installed on the pooler server to be
> > able to store some pgpool settings that would overwrite the settings
> > from config files ?
>
> Having it in a file is may be an idea but I don't want to have
> PostgreSQL installation just for storing pgpool settings. Sounds like
> overkill.

Jehan-Guillaume, which parameters would be good to have set for a
specific database or user? I really don't see one.

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info