[Pgpool-hackers] database doesnot exist error

Asif Rehman asifalirehman at gmail.com
Tue May 24 18:44:35 UTC 2011

> Which PostgreSQL release do you use? or did you drop the postgres database?
>
> I am using 9.0 version, But I did drop postgres database.

> So I start looking into the pgpool codebase. where I found that there
> > are at-least three functions that are using "postgres" as hardcoded
> database
> > name
> >
> > 1- check_postmaster_started
> > 2- health_check
> > 3- make_persistent_db_connection
>
> You probably mean establish_persistent_connection.
>
> Yes. though make_persistent_db_connection is being called from one other
location with hardcoded string("postgres" ).

> In the first two functions, if postgres is not found, "template1" is used,
> >  But for #3 "postgres" is the only option. Do you think there is any harm
> in
> > using "template1" instead of "postgres"?
>
> There shouldn't be any harm to do so. Except you won't be able to create
> database with the default template database (template1) while pgpool is
> connected to the template1 database. But it connects to it every
> health_check_period (or every 30 sec if health_check_period<=0).
>
> Anyway, this is probably something we should fix. You're not required to
> have a postgres database.
>
> Hmmm, how about something like this... (just an idea)

retry:
dbname="postgres";
if (make_persistent_db_connection(dbname) == NULL) {
  dbname="template1";
  goto retry;
}

OR Is it a good idea to add a configuration parameter in pgpool.conf that
user can specify for himself. OR is there any better solution for this.

Regards,
--Asif