[Pgpool-hackers] First pcp command as PostgreSQL function

Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais jgdr at dalibo.com
Thu Mar 31 11:18:34 UTC 2011

Hello,

Following our previous discussions I created a PostgreSQL contrib module
which brings pgpool's pcp command as function in PostgreSQL. I called it
pgpool_adm, any better ideas ?

As a first step, I decided to focus on one function only: pcp_node_info.
I'll add other ones as soon as this one will be committable.

INSTALL: (tested against current 9.1devel HEAD)

  $ cd $PGSRC/contrib
  $ tar zxf pgpool_adm.tgz
  $ cd pgpool_adm
  $ make && sudo make install

then:

  $ psql pgpool
  CREATE SCHEMA pgpool;
  CREATE EXTENSION pgpool_adm WITH SCHEMA pgpool ;
  SELECT * FROM pgpool.pcp_node_info(0, 'localhost', 10, 9898,
'pgpool_adm', 'password');
     host    | port |             status              |   weight
  -----------+------+---------------------------------+-------------
   localhost | 5491 | Waiting for connection to start | 1.46602e+13
  (1 ligne)

If you don't want/cannot test with 9.1, just adapt and run the "CREATE
FUNCTION" query located in pgpool_adm/pgpool_adm--1.0.sql.

NOTE:
I had to mess a bit to make the compilation work out of the box because
of my setup of pgpool installing stuffs in /usr/local/{lib,include}.
Basically editing my system ldd setup and configuring postgresql with
"--with-libraries" and "--with-includes". Drop me a mail if you have any
trouble.

TODO:
  * I will try to make it work with foreign server and user mappings so
we will not have to give all servers parameters (host, port, timeout),
but most importantly, not have to write in clear text authentication
parameters.
  * Why do we backend_weight/RAND_MAX in the code ?

Feedback & comments ?
- --
Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais
DBA