[Pgpool-hackers] High Availability for PGPool Itself

Tony Hoang tony.hoang at team.telstra.com
Tue Mar 29 03:53:33 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I have successfully setup PGPool II to perform replication and load balancing
and this is a great piece of middleware software.

My only concern is for high availiabity for PGPool itself, since if that
goes down then effectively we will have to manually bring it back up and
cause an outage.

I wanted to know if a duo setup of PGPool would work.  Say the following
structure:

App. Server 1 -------> PGPool 1 -------> PostgreSQL 1
              \     /           \     /
               \   /             \   /
                \ /               \ /
                 /                 /
                / \               / \
               /   \             /   \
App. Server 2 -------> PGPool 2 -------> PostgreSQL 2

So the application servers are configured to have two datasources and then
can use either one depending on availability.

Both PGPool servers are setup to communicate and replication/load balancing
the two (or more) PostgreSQL servers.

I will attempt to test this as a proof of concept but has anyone tried this
or know whether or not there will be problems with this setup?

Thanks,
Tony