[Pgpool-hackers] Exodus from pgfoundry

Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais jgdr at dalibo.com
Wed Jun 1 16:47:44 UTC 2011

On 01/06/2011 18:38, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

>> It seems git.postgresql.org is another choice...
>>

> Yes. We could do something like pgadmin: have the main repository on
> git.postgresql.org, have another one on github that developers could
> easily fork (the one on github would be updated once in a while,
> automatically, just like the pgadmin one).

>>> AFAIK, Guillaume Lelarge is working on this.
>>>
>>> In my opinion, as soon as 3.1 is out, we should freeze the development
>>> and focus on cvs -> git conversation whatever it takes. We already
>>> discussed the problem inherited from cvs while thinking about releasing
>>> 3.1 sooner, we should not use CVS for 3.2.
>>
>> I expect git conversion finishes within 1 or 2 days at most. I don't
>> want to be blocked by the conversion work.
>>

> Git conversion takes 2 minutes on my laptop.
>
> Here are some informations.
>
> We first need to patch a few files. Patch is available on
> cvs_pgpool.patch file. It fixes some issues on encoding.
>
> default.options is a default config file that cvs2git will read in order
> to do the conversion. If you want to play with it, you need to
> change /home/guillaume/cvs_pgpool with the full path to the CVS
> repository (not the one you get by "cvs checkout" but the real one with
> *, files, which you'll find on pgfoundry.org:/cvsroot/pgpool).
>
> Once you changed that, you can use the convert.sh script file. It will
> create a git repository for each CVS repository (pgpool, pgpoolAdmin,
> pgpool-ha, pgpool-II, pgpool-web).
>
> Once you executed the script file, it will create a git directory with a
> subdirectory for each repository. If you want to use one, you first need
> to clone it, this way:
>
> [guillaume at laptop git_pgpool]$ mkdir git2
> [guillaume at laptop git_pgpool]$ cd git2
> [guillaume at laptop git2]$ git clone ../git/pgpool-II.git/
> Cloning into pgpool-II...
> done.
>
> Then, you can enter the pgpool-II directory, and use any git commands
> you can think of.
>
> BTW, something that first surprises me is that cvs2git doesn't convert
> each cvs branch in a git branch. It does that because the cvs branch was
> not used, hence it is not needed. We could create the branch afterwards
> if we need it.
>
> What we still need to do:
>
>  * if you took a look at the patch, I fixed a japanese comment with
>    "(something)"... this needs to be fixed with the real comment in
>    latin1

As far as I understand it, git support UTF8 messages for commits
internally. So maybe we could keep those commit message in japanese if
cvs related files are in UTF-8.
See man page of git-commit, section "DISCUSSION" about commit messages
in UTF-8 and some more options about how to set it explicitly in another
encoding.

>  * default.options has the list of all the commiters, but some
>    name/email pairs are probably obsolete... if you could give me the
>    informations to fix this, that would be great

- --
Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais
DBA
http://www.dalibo.com