[Pgpool-hackers] GSoC 2011 - "Caching query results in pgpool-II" specification

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Jun 1 06:39:29 UTC 2011

>> [pgpool.conf Setting]
>>
>> - To enable the memory cache functionality, set this to on (default is
>> off)
>>

>> memory_cache_enabled = on/off
>>
>> - Memory cache behavior can be specified by cache_param directive.
>>

>> cache_param = 'method=shmem,  *1
>>
>>                memcached_host=,  *2
>>                memcached_port=,  *3
>>
>>                total_size=,  *4
>>                expire=60,  *5
>>                maxcache=,  *6
>>                cache_block_size=8192' *7
>>
> This is strange to me. Why only one parameter? you should use seven, the
> user just needs to enter the information, and doesn't need to know the
> way the string is built.

Problem with the way you suggested is:

1) We may have even 10 or more parameters. I don't want to make
   pgpool.conf that big for just one functionality.

2) Adding parameters will require major version up of pgpool-II.

3) Adding parameters will require pgpool related applications such as
   pgpoolAdmin major version up.

So I think "one parameter way" seems to be better in this case. IMO on
memory query cache staff is woth to be treated differently from other
config directives.